Applications close 2pm, 21st of January 2019.
Start Date: 12th February 2019
Duration: 5-6 months, with an option to extend a further year until 29 June 2020.
Defence is seeking 1 Computer Programmer/Software Engineer with real-time C programming experience to work on supporting a suite of software tools operating and communicating in real-time with networked systems to enable high-fidelity data acquisition and control of complex rocket propulsion hardware during static test firings in support of Defence research and client programs.
The Candidate will be required to work under the general guidance of Defence staff to undertake the following activities:
- Maintain and support documentation of the existing Data Acquisition and Control Systems (DACS) software suite at DST's Rocket Motor Firing Facility. In broad terms, provide programming support to the Rocket Motor Firing Facility, the DACS and instrumentation that comprise the facility's network and computing infrastructure. The DACS software suite also encompasses sophisticated tools for data processing, analysis and presentation.
- Maintain the suite of device drivers.
- Monitor and verify the status of the systems and applications during static test firings.
- Act as System Administrator for all computer systems on the standalone network, including develop and maintain shell scripts for daily backups and archiving, and monitor the results of scheduled processes
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in real-time programming, the C programming language, Unix daemons and shell scripts, and X Windows applications;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with real-time operating systems, multi-thread processes and inter-process communication techniques;
- Demonstrated thorough understanding of data acquisition principles and hardware; and
- Tertiary qualification in an appropriate field.